Makes 4 servings
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp – peeled and deveined
- 1 (13.5 ounce) can canned coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 (1 inch) piece galangal, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised and chopped
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn in half
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Boil the shrimp until cooked, about one minute. Drain shrimp, and set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk and 2 cups of water in a large saucepan; bring to a simmer. Add the galangal, lemon grass, and lime leaves; simmer for 10 minutes, or until the flavors are infused. Strain the coconut milk into a new pan and discard the spices. Simmer the shiitake mushrooms in the coconut milk for five minutes. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Season to taste with curry powder.
- To serve, reheat shrimp in the soup, and ladle into serving bowls. Garnish with green onion and red pepper flakes.
Recipe, courtesy of AllRecipes.com
When planning a vacation, many times we make decisions on locations based on what activities specific they have to offer. For those of us who enjoy checking out the casinos of the world while away on vacation, Asia could be an excellent destination. Many locations across this continent offer casino gambling. Probably the most popular venue would be Macau, which has surpassed Vegas as the top grossing casino.
Not surprisingly, several of the top casinos in Macau have been built by developers who also own casinos in Vegas. One of these would be the Venetian Macau. While it is the sister casino to the Venetian in Las Vegas, the Venetian Macau casino is much larger. In fact, it is the largest casino in the world. It’s gambling floor measures over half a million square feet. Given the size of this casino, it isn’t surprising that it also offers a massive selection of games. With around 3500 slot machines, gamblers who visit here are usually quite impressed. For example, there are over 800 electronic games, such as video poker here. Amazing.
The Wynn Macau is another Macau casino that has been built by Vegas developers. The Wynn Macau was the first casino in Asia to build as a Las Vegas style integrated resort. Not only can guests find gaming here, but they also can find a hotel, restaurants, shops, spa and the Performance Lake – a water and fire show that is choreographed to popular music as well as classical tunes. Using over 800,000 gallons of water, this is an impressive aspect of the Wynn Macau that should not be missed. The casino itself has about half the gaming space as the Venetian Macau, offering about 500 table games and 375 slot machines. About half of the casinos are on the main floor with the other half being found in VIP rooms.
If Asian casinos are something that you’re interested in, there are usually casinos near you to practice at. Or try playing online at http://www.luckynuggetcasino.com/au/online-blackjack to make sure you are prepared to gamble in Asia (and have the money to do so)!
- Authentic Thai Coconut Soup Recipe
- Top casinos to visit when travelling in Asia
- Take a Green Holiday
- Like a Kid Again: Experience Magic at Walt Disney World
- The Pros and Cons of Traveling Alone